Thursday, October 18, 2012

Alive and Angry:


First off: I apologize for the complete lack of activity around here for the past two months.

No, I did not drop off the face of the Earth. I am very much alive and very ticked off.

As a college student, returning back to school with a heavy schedule has increased my workload outside of this blog. Add in the plethora lack of NHL games and you have one frustrated and stressed out hockey fan. To be completely honest, during this current lockout, I have found it extremely difficult to be motivated to write anything.

Could I have found topics to write about? Absolutely. However, the drive and fire to write has been long gone since this lockout nonsense began.  I have invested so much time and money into this game it kills me that we're going through another lockout.

Hockey is my passion, my obsession and practically my life. When most people open up their laptops or phones to go on the internet, they start typing "f-a-c-e-b...". I on the other hand go straight to one of the many hockey blogs I read.

It's because of this that I've been so fed up with the league. This is the second lockout I have had to deal with in my (now apparently clear) short life. I can't even begin to imagine what people must be feeling who have experienced three lockouts.

Consider this hiatus over. I am back and even though posts may be sporadic until the season returns, you can be rest assured that there will be more activity on this site.

On another note: Many people have been wondering what hockey fans have been doing to make up for the lost season...

So how does a hockey freak like myself get his fix without watching the best sport around?

Find out after the jump!

As I mentioned earlier, I am an avid reader of hockey blogs. The best part about reading other blogs is that even though I am (or was) not writing, there are other bloggers who have been and excellent ones at that. Getting different opinions of other hockey fans with larger reader bases than myself is a nice change of pace (and a lot less work too!)

These bloggers have been able to do what I have not; stay motivated through these dark times.

What do these high caliber writers talk about? For the most part? Not much that is too important. The topic that offers the most discussion is prospects. There are many exciting prospects and young players playing in the American Hockey League (AHL) that will come back to the NHL as more mature players ready to make an impact.

The Oklahoma City Barons roster features NHL caliber sniper Jordan Eberle who lit the lamp 34 times in 78 games. The sophomore star also recorded 76 points; good for almost a point per game in just his second NHL season. If Eberle can beat NHL goalies 34 times, AHL goalies will be in for quite the scare.

Also on the team is 2011 1st overall pick and Calder Trophy nominee, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The 19 year old scored 52 points in a 62 game, injury shortened rookie campaign.

Speaking of 1st overall picks, once 2010 top prospect Taylor Hall gets cleared to play, he will also be joining the Barons. Hall will be joined by highly sought after collegiate defenseman, Justin Schultz.

The Edmonton Oilers affiliate will not be the only team that features many top young stars in their lineup as many teams will have younger, NHL caliber players playing in a league that is simply inferior to the NHL.

Development for these prospects will be crucial this season as they will have time to grow, mature and shine in expanded roles. The AHL will be the league to watch this year which is why I have begun following that league a little closer.

Another way I have found to kill time is watching football (bearable) and baseball (not so bearable). Going to school in the midwest is a good way to surround yourself with football fanatics so it's safe to say that without my sport on TV, I caught football fever.

Replacing hockey with another sport isn't as bad as I thought when there are so many people who like that sport around you. I was never a huge football fan so it's a little exciting getting into something new. I've always watched the game before, had teams I cheered on but it was never on the same level as hockey. It will never reach that level but in the mean time, it's getting me through the lockout.

The last way I have kept myself sane is by some good ol' NHL 13. EA has done a pretty sweet job on their online GM Connected mode which allows you to put on your GM cap. You get to take control of an NHL franchise and lead it to Stanley Cup glory as a player, coach, general manager or commissioner. In the league I am in, all 30 NHL teams are user-controlled. What this means is that you have real people you try and negotiate deals with and not a computer that is easily manipulated.

Gone are the days where you could pull off ridiculous trades that would never happen. Now, in order to make a trade, you have to give quality for quality. It adds a brand new dynamic to the game and makes it much more interesting as you all compete to win the Stanley Cup.

The best part about it is that you can simulate your games if you don't have the time to play as block schedules of games advance every few days. This causes the season to progress fast; so fast that my season is nearing the trade deadline this week.

If you are a fan of EA's NHL franchise, video games or just need some hockey in your life, NHL 13 is a great way to go.

Obviously none of these activities make up for an NHL season but while these millionaires and billionaires fight over the direction of the game, we'll just have to find other ways to kill the time.

What have you done to replace watching the NHL? How are you dealing with the lockout? Share your thoughts and comments in the comment section!




No comments:

Post a Comment